A Raffle is defined in MGL 271:7A as an arrangement for raising money by the sale of tickets, certain among which, as determined by chance after the sale, entitle the holder to prizes. A Bazaar is defined in MGL 271:7A as a place maintained by the sponsoring organization for disposal by means of chance one or both of the following types of prizes (1) merchandise of any value (2) cash awards, not to exceed $25 each. The Attorney General has promulgated regulations, 940 CMR 12.00:13.00 regarding the conduct of raffles and bazaars.
Qualifications of Organizations:
- Types of organizations: Veterans', church or religious, fraternal, educational or charitable (including public school departments and parent-teacher organizations), civic or service organizations and clubs organized and operated exclusively for pleasure, recreation or other purposes.
- Actively functions as non-profit organizations in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Two years or more in existence.
Purposed of Proceeds: Must be used exclusively for the purposes stated in the application and are limited to the following: educational, charitable, religious, fraternal, civic, or veteran’s benefits.
Operation of the Raffle or Bazaar: Promotion of the raffle or bazaar must be confined to the members of the sponsoring organization. No member shall be compensated for time or effort devoted to the promotion of the event.
Application: Applications shall be made with the town clerk of the town in which the raffle will be drawn. Tickets may be sold in several towns. Application must contain the name and address of the applicant, evidence of qualification of the organization, names of three officers or members, purposes of the proceeds.
Filing Fee: $10.00. Checks should be made payable to "The Town of West Boylston."
- Obtain application from Town Clerk
- Submit application and documentation of eligibility and fee to town clerk
- Complete Notice of Issuance of Raffle License for Mass State Lottery and return to town clerk
- State Lottery commission will issue appropriate tax forms (5% commission on gross proceeds payable within 10 days of each event)
- Application is then presented to chief of police for his approval/signature
- Application is returned to Town Clerk for issuance of the license. Organization receives two certified copies of the permit (one is for ticket printer)
- Permit must be issued or denied within 30 days of application.
- Valid for one year (organization may conduct multiple raffles, or 2 bazaars)
- Permits may be revoked if non-members promote the raffle, uses of proceeds are not as stated in the application, payments are made for promotion of raffle, or facts on the application have changed without notice to the clerk.
- Organization must file annual report within 30 days of expiration of permit detailing number of events, amount raised, expenses, names of winners of prizes valued at more than $25, uses of the net proceeds; signed by the people on the application and an accountant.
- Renewal of permit is conditional upon timely receipt of annual report.
- Organization must keep records sufficient to substantiate information required by annual report.