Marriage Licenses/ Intentions

How to obtain a license

To apply for a marriage license, the couple must come together to the Town Clerk's Office. Both parties must be 18 years of age unless a waiver is obtained from a probate or district court.  You each must have one of these accepted forms of identification: Social Security card, MA Drivers License, Passport or Birth Certificate.

Be aware that you need to know the correct spelling of your parents names and your mothers maiden name. There is a fee of $35 for filing marriage intentions payable to the Town of West Boylston.

Waiting Period

After the completion of the marriage intention there is a mandatory three-day waiting period before the marriage license can be issued.  A waiver of the waiting period may be granted by the local district court.  In that instance, the couple should bring the court waiver to the Town Clerk and a marriage license may be issued immediately.

The marriage license is valid for a sixty-day period from the filing date of the marriage intention. The license provided can only be used in any city or town in Massachusetts.


One Day Solemnization

One Day Solemnization and Non-Resident Clergy Certificates are available through the Governor's Office. This is special permission for a layperson to perform a marriage. One can obtain an application by calling (617) 727-2836.

  • The fee for a one day solemnization license is $25.00. Payable to The Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
  • Applications must be mailed at least six weeks prior to the date of the wedding.
  • Please do not submit applications more than three months in advance.
  • Applicants are generally allowed only one designation per calendar year.
Recording the Marriage

Following the marriage ceremony, the official who performs the ceremony must mail back the marriage license to the Town Clerk’s office that processed the marriage intention.  Once the Town Clerk receives the license, it will be processed and recorded. Marriage certificates are available after the recording.  Please call the Town Clerk’s office in advance to request a marriage certificate.