The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was a fraternal organization composed of Union veterans who served in the American Civil War. The GAR Monument in Mount Vernon Cemetery was erected by the Ladies' Relief Corp, the women's auxiliary of the GAR, in 1897 "to honor the Men of West Boylston who fought to save the Union." It is a granite memorial with a Union Soldier atop a tall base. The lots where the monument stands were donated for that purpose by the Mount Vernon Cemetery Association (MVA) "for the burial of deceased soldiers."
Two hundred twelve patriotic men and boys left West Boylston and joined the fight to preserve the Union. Sadly, 34 of those brave volunteers made the ultimate sacrifice and joined the ranks of Fallen Heroes. Some of the fallen were returned home and are buried in local cemeteries, including here in Mount Vernon and High Plains in Oakdale. Many lie far from home in National Cemeteries. Seven of our young soldiers still lie somewhere in the field their final resting places known only to God. The flags at the base of the monument represent these missing heroes.
The gravestones and monuments of Mount Vernon Cemetery include markers commemorating hundreds of West Boylston veterans who served our country in every conflict from the Revolutionary War until today. Eight-one Civil War veterans are buried in the cemetery.